When is your application deadline?
Applications are accepted until December 18. Our interview season will run from October 26 to January 15 this year.
Does Altoona Family Physicians participate in the couples match?
Yes, we participate in couples match. We have previously matched several couples.
International Medical Graduates Questions
What visas are sponsored?
As you are likely aware, the USMLE Step II-Clinical is not being offered this year in light of COVID. While the ECFMG has developed alternative pathways in order to secure ECFMG certification, there is uncertainty as to whether the absence of the USMLE Step II-Clinical exam will impair a resident’s ability to apply for H-1B status. Our hope remains to be able to offer H-1B status as well as J-1 status to incoming residents. However, since many candidates will not have sat for the USMLE Step II-Clinical exam, the USCIS has yet to disclose whether absence of USMLE II clinical will render a candidate ineligible for H-1B status, which would make it legally impossible for us to sponsor the resident for H-1B status. If it becomes legally impossible for us to sponsor the resident for H-1B status, the resident will need to understand and agree to J-1 status for fulfillment of the residency program.
What are the requirements for an IMG to be considered for an interview?
To be considered for an interview, you must
- Complete an ERAS application. Incomplete applications will not be reviewed, and we do not accept applications via fax.
- Meet the requirements of the Pennsylvania State Board of Medicine to obtain a graduate training license
- Must have four years of medical school, 32 months, and 4,000 hours of instruction in a medical curriculum
- Must have 72 weeks (minimum of 2,880 hours) of clinical rotations in US-based, ACGME-recognized programs
- ECFMG certification
- Complete a minimum of these rotations prior to application to our program
- 8 weeks of Internal Medicine
- 8 weeks of Surgery
- 6 weeks of Pediatrics
- 6 weeks of OB/GYN
- 4 weeks of Family Practice or ambulatory medicine
Is there a cut-off date for graduation from medical school?
Will you accept someone who has failed the USMLE Step exams? Is there a maximum number of attempts to take it?
We require a passing score, and except in rare circumstances, someone with more than one failure would not be considered.
Do you offer observerships or externships?
Unfortunately, we do not.
How will I know if I am selected for an interview?
If you are selected for an interview, our recruitment coordinator will contact you directly. Because of the volume of applications received, we cannot provide status updates on your application.